Thursday, February 22, 2007

Giant Wheel



These are makeshift human powered rides that you can see quite commonly in fairs in India. Human powered because it is not operated by power. To run it, two-three people climb up the axel and by walking on it, they make it turn, quite a bit like guinea pigs that keep moving in their cages on a circular path. I personally find these very dangerous because you never know what the state of the men was last night when they put this ride together It was quite likely that they were drunk and couldn’t do it properly or may be they are frustrated by their low wage and are not wiling to go beyond a certain point.

2 Comments:

Blogger photowannabe said...

Whew, that sounds a whole lot scary to me too. I think I will do something else and not ride this wheel.

12:21 PM, February 22, 2007  
Blogger Dylan said...

I found your blog when searching for "giant wheel bombay" on google, for a blog post i was writing. Interesting pics... make me all homesick now.

BTW, the 'human powered' rides are amazing. I've seen some at Juhu and could stand there fixated forever. It's amazing the kind of things Bombay churns out.

4:52 PM, December 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home